Bagan in Myanmar(Burma) is famous for countless beautiful temples. It’s a relatively small town in the Mandalay district of Myanmar. If you look for the hotels but are undecided about where to stay in Bagan for your once in a lifetime trip, you have good news.
There are mostly three regions to stay – Old Bagan, New Bagan, and Nyaung U. You should pick one of them for your trip to Bagan.
Below is a comprehensive comparison of those locations (advantages and disadvantages), name of the suggested hotels to stay and their cost.
Colour in the bracket denotes the location of the maps below, it doesn’t have any other purpose other than that.
Where to stay in Old Bagan?
Summary of the hotels in Old Bagan
- Situated in the Northwest
- Very close to the historical sites of Bagan
- Pretty expensive compared to the other regions
- The area is surrounded by an ancient wall
- Much quieter than new Bagan or Nyaung U
Recommended hotels in Old Bagan
- Ananta Bagan (Blue)
- Bagan Thiripyitsaya Sanctuary Resort (Green)
- The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate (Red)
- Aureum palace hotel and resort (Black)
- Aye Yar River View Resort (Yellow)
Where to stay in New Bagan?
Summary of the hotels in New Bagan
- Situated in the Southwest
- People who got affected during the renovations of Old Bagan was moved here
- Newer hotels
- Cheaper than hotels of Old Bagan
Recommended New Bagan Hotels
- Kumudara Hotel (Black)
- Bluebird Hotel (Green)
- Bagan Lodge (Yellow)
- Villa Bagan Hotel (Blue)
- Bagan View Hotel (Red)
Where to stay in Nyaung U?
Summary of the hotels in Nyaung U
- Situated in the Northeast
- Close to the bus stoppage and airport
- Not far from the attractions
- Cheapest hotels
Recommended hotels in Nyaung U
- Hotel Zein (Black)
- New Wave Guesthouse (Blue)
- Myanmar Han Hotel (Yellow)
- Heritage Bagan Hotel (Orange)
- Nanda Garden (Green)
- Saw Nyein San Guest House (Purple)
Comparison of Hotel Locations in Bagan
|Key Factors||Old Bagan||New Bagan||Nyaung U|
|Ideal for||Luxury seekers||Mixed||Backpackers|
|Temples||~1KM||~5 KM||~7 KM|
|Airport||11 KM||10 KM||2 KM|
|Bus Station||7 KM||13 KM||5 KM|
Map of Hotel Hotspots in Bagan
I have given you a lot of information above. Below is a map of the locations of the bus stoppage, airport, and the locations we discussed above.
- Black denotes Old Bagan
- Red denotes New Bagan
- Green denotes Nyaung U
Bagan Hotels – Names, Locations, Price
|Name of the hotel||Location||Price in US$|
|Ananta Bagan||Old Bagan||200|
|Bagan Thiripyitsaya Sanctuary||Old Bagan||90|
|The Hotel @ Tharabar Gate||Old Bagan||145|
|Aye Yar River View Resort||Old Bagan||110|
|Aureum palace hotel and resort||Old Bagan||145|
|Kumudara Hotel||New Bagan||28|
|Bluebird Hotel||New Bagan||–|
|Bagan Lodge||New Bagan||130|
|Villa Bagan Hotel||New Bagan||52|
|Bagan View Hotel||New Bagan||37|
|Hotel Zein||Nyaung U||–|
|New Wave Guesthouse||Nyaung U||30|
|Myanmar Han Hotel||Nyaung U||23|
|Heritage Bagan Hotel||Nyaung U||77|
|Nanda Garden||Nyaung U||26|
|Saw Nyein San Guest House||Nyaung U||24|
Ah! A long post right? But, I believe, if you read this post, you don’t need to read any further. You can choose any hotel from the list mentioned above. If you don’t find any of them not satisfactory after your visit, please do let me know.
Besides, if you are willing to ride a bike, it will be very easy for you to move from places. The main roads are in good shape. So it doesn’t matter where you decide to stay, any place is just a several minutes away.
Where did you stay in Bagan?