US$250 to US$300 – that’s how much you need to complete the ABC trek, including your trip to and from Kathmandu. This includes transportation, accommodation, meals, and permissions for the trek.
Don’t believe me? It’s true!
ABC is is a beautiful trek in Nepal. Before doing the trek, like you, I also thought a trek like it will be expensive. However, once I completed the trek, it surprised me to see how little I had to spend on the overall trek. In the below chart, I have jotted down the expenses needed to complete the trek starting from Kathmandu.
Below is some point behind the calculation:
- You will spend two nights in Kathmandu, your first night after arrival to Nepal and last night before leaving Nepal
- You will spend two nights in Pokhara. One before the trek starts and one after the trek ends.
- You can save money of two nights if you can plan intelligently
- You will take a bus to Pokhara from Kathmandu. You will return similarly. If you want to take a flight, it will add US$100 more.
- If you are a citizen of SAARC country, you will save money in the permit
- I am assuming you will complete the trek in 8 days
- The budget I mentioned is flexible and you should be able to complete the trek in a lesser amount. Suppose I assumed the cost for a hotel per night is 12 USD per night. However, you can get this good hotel in Kathmandu at $6 to $7 per night.
- Unit in Hotel means the number of nights
- Unit in Food means the number of meals you will take
- You will not hire any guide and will trek on your own
- You will not hire any porter and will carry your bag on your own
- Miscellaneous expenses are to handle any unexpected expense not covered in the list
|Head of Cost||Unit Price in NPR||Unit||Total in NPR||Total in USD|
|Hotel in Kathmandu||1500||2||3000||24|
|Hotel in Pokhara||1200||2||2400||20|
|Jeep to and from entry point||1200||1||1200||10|
|Accommodation while trekking||350||7||2450||20|
|Food while trekking||600||18||10800||90|
|Food in Kathmandu and Pokhara||500||7||3500||29|
|Taxi to and from airport||1000||2||2000||17|
Depending on the change of Nepalese Rupees, the conversion in US$ might change when you are reading this write up. However, it should not vary much.
I believe that this can be done at US$250 and even if you end up spending US$300, it will be the most worthwhile $300 you spent in your life.
What are you waiting for?